Wednesday 10 September 2008

'Cheesy Wotsits Are All I'll Eat'

The title of the post was the central task of our warm up tonight. Don't ask! Suffice to say it was a musical triumph... as always. It was sung to the tune of 'Viva La Musica', a wee song taught to me by my old music teacher Mr 'Wacko Jacko' Towers. We also made animal noises... classic Rudsambee weirdness.



Anyway, we spent a considerable amount of time on a jolly Russian-stylee piece by our newest friend Arvo Pärt. It isn't in two different keys this time at least but it is in, well, Russian. A tough language to sing in especially at breakneck speed. This piece has one of the most difficult page turns I have ever seen. In fact so difficult that currently we are singing it avec a large fermata (man that sounds like something you might eat as a side in a Mexican restaurant) at present to give us time to collect ourselves. We'll gradually speed up I'm sure.

We did a wee bit of work on our new Gaelic pieces. Ol had once again typed up the phonetic notes. This time though one line starts (apparently though I'm sure our friends on Skye or South Uist or wherever would challenge this) 'U rine'... seriously! Ol hadn't noticed his slip and Douglas went as far as to say that it was a good job there was a 'wee gap' between 'U' and 'rine'. Brilliant!

And finally, congratulations to Rach and Jake who now have little Isabella Mary in the family. She was born this morning I think and weighed 7.12 (I think) which is, as Christopher put it, nearly the same size as Rach! Congrats to the Kings; we'll look forward to her joining our altos soon.

And on that note, I'll sign off. Chris introduced me to Imogen Heap's new version of 'Hide and Seek' called, originally and profoundly enough 'Hide and Seek 2' (well if it's good enough for Playstation and Spiderman) which has a brilliant background electric axe playing. It left me wondering whether choir funds would stretch to a limited edition Knopfler Fender Strat.

And with that final dream, I bid you goodnight (did you notice I did the 'and finally' three times there- this is a trick that all lecturers and vicars learn early on... there is always the hope you are going to bloomin' finish soon).

CSW

No comments: