Friday 20 November 2009

Back at Priestfield

Afternoon bloggets.
Oh the weather outside is frightful but a couple of minutes reading Relative Pitch is so delightful. Ain't it just? So a quick run down on Wednesday night. As the post title would suggest we returned to Priestfield to bash out Lauridsen sans soft furnishing.

The warm up was a very jolly affair led by Claire 2. Looking rather like to tragic aftermath of a battle scene, the Rudsambeelets lay on the floor (attempting to subtly move away from those with sweaty feet) and rested with some breathing exercises. How nice!

This evening Maestro Boy asked us to imagine we were singing to the "humunculi" (his word, not mine) at the back i.e. the sweet deaf little old ladies. Helps with projection don't ye know.

So onwards and upwards with Christmas music. Lots of wassailing last night. An admission on my part - I have never, ever got this song right yet...and I must have performed it a good 4 times. I endeavour to break the rut this year. John made a comment about the ox and Jenny laughed a lot so my assumption is that Monsieur Wexler made an unintended statement of intent and Jennifer managed to find a smidgeon of innuendo...that is my guess.

Had a funny old moment with 'Deck the Hall'. One of the sopranos always sings of multiple halls and, of course, the 's' is very obvious. Even yesterday we greedily requested enough 'bells and holly' to deck a number of halls. Cue exasperated lifted eyebrows all round. It doesn't help that Maestro Boy continually gets it wrong!

So on we go to Christmas. I have a candle lit in the house and I'm going to make hot chocolate this evening - it must be winter! As an aside (and because I always sneakily slip in my music choices) we saw the wonderment of Yes last night at the newly painted Usher Hall. My verdict on the new improved building? The toilets are odd. They resemble that corridor in Orwell's '1984', you know, the one where Winston is tortured. Very weird indeed. Gig brilliant!

Until next week

CSW

No comments: