Thursday 8 July 2010

A quiet evening in Morningside

Hello, mes amies, how’s things avec vous, ce soir? Je suis very well, merci for asking.

So, yes, a very quiet evening. Quite a crowd of people but not much nonsense (no Jenny who is on holiday and causing havoc elsewhere) and it was all over very quickly indeed though I think we managed to do a fair amount of work. We learned a new piece by Debussy – very Debussy, too. Liked it. Though if I had remembered to take my file (ie my music) I might have managed better because then I would have had some control over the pages. Instead I found myself turning over all wonky and trilling from page 5 when everyone else was on page 7 and page 9 when they were on 11 and so on and so forth and SO bad for one’s sight-reading. Kay, having spent an amusing half hour or so listening to my squeaks and sighs of frustration, laughed at me and my noises and told me not to make feeble excuses for my lack of basic music skills. Cruel. Fair, but cruel all the same.

Then we went over one we learned last week all about praying in a river, which seems a strange place to choose but chacun à son (rather soggy) goût. Very gospel. Like this too, especially after tonight when the basses and tenors were exhorted to sing with appropriate expression and expressions: eyes closed, pained look of rapture (as demonstrated by Ollie looking rather as if he had an extremely nasty internal upset) which resulted in a star turn from Robin who appeared quite carried away with religious ecstasy (I presume it was religious but I’ve spoken of dubious moral standards before...) The song asks "who shall wear the robe and crown?" and I decided we should award the robe, at least, to Robin and dress him up for performances in some large, cassocky type garment in which guise he can stand at the front and emote for all of us. Probably he’ll insist on the crown as well. Or a tiara at least. Lovely. Do come see.

While most of this was going on Sebastian snuck away to watch Germany losing their fussball match (which I believe was of some importance). Bit of a shame as I feel sure he’d have given Robin a run for his money in the competition for the cassock of emotion. Now, unless the Boy Wonder makes them do it all over again next week, we’ll never know which one of them is more deserving. And I wouldn’t care to guess.

Well, me darlin’s, I b’lieve that’s all as I has to say. An’ it’s late an’ I is weary. Lord A’mighty, how I is weary!

And I have to get up and play tennis tomorrow morning. Hmmmm.

A bientôt xx

No comments: