Friday 27 May 2011

Spoiled you are!

It seems like our blogstress is stressed by her computer's kapuz-ted-ness. Could her tired mind have been thinking straight when she asked me to have a go at taking over her precious blog until she's fixed? However, it is a great pleasure dwelling on our AGM which poor Natalie valiantly brought to order several times and managed to keep us from too much discussion on the nitty gritty of things. Such as Robin asking me when and in which context I would use the expression - "Eeee, lad, A'll go to t'foot o' ow-er stairs!" - and Behm being surprised that my Granny actually used the expression.

I don't know what Sebastian's poor visiting daddy made of it all, him not speaking much German... I mean English.... (He may not speak much German either, but he seemed to make a pretty good attempt at it!!) Personally, I think he should be writing this blog, and next time I propose we do the AGM in subtitles.

In the midst of a nice selection of biscuits, crisps, tea, coffee, and sweets, we thanked Anne and Dick, most profusely, for their hard work as Admin and Treasurer. And we cheered heartily for the members willing to take on new posts (mainly relief... no one enjoys feeling they have to volunteer or be elected on the spot!). However Heather, our new Administrator, is going to find the job difficult without any arms... the said limbs having been twisted off!! Thanks also to Susan, who, on top of everything else she manages is willing to be treasurer and our blogstress who volunteered to HAND MAKE birthday cards for everyone. Thank you to Douglas who has been doing birthday cards (not hand made, though cleverly chosen) for a few years now. He is taking over the Xmas card list. A congratulations to Gordon, our auditor, who got a raise of £5 on his token of thanks. Chris said he will continue to manage the marketing side of things but doesn't promise to manage it unless people ask to be managed, or come to him with good ideas he can unpick and say why they won't work. If I've missed anyone out, sorry, Chris to fill in blanks.... I was too busy being surprised at being a trustee. I forget I am until these AGMs , and Anne is looking at me knowing full well I haven't been a very responsible one.

Nikos had a very clever idea about everyone paying subs in instalments, but it was too much for poor brain cells. People have to excuse my maths - I couldn't tell the time, understand money, do mental arithmetic or fractions way into my teens. But had math solely been binary codes, triangles, bar/ pie charts, or long division, I could have beaten Einstein any day!!
Where was I? Oh, yes.... oh, no .... someone thought I was volunteering for everything, though I'm not sure what and why it amused everyone.... Claire said something funny but I forget what.

Generally our AGMs do not follow the laborious-ness of serious meetings and it's rather difficult for people who need to go through the 'constitution of this that and the other' to get a decent solemn audience. Well done, Herr Meller, who was the only person in the room who was taking any notice whatsoever of the treasurer's report. Having time for a sing after the meeting (what an achievement!!) was anyone else amused or confused by seeing two Sebastians singing bass, or was anyone expecting a double outburst of manic scatting?!

We all deserved a slice of lime cake which Claire had baked, probably to prove to us that her new kitchen is now actually functioning! Then four of us sloped off to the pub.

That's all. I'm off to catch up on the Apprentice.

Jenny

No comments: