Friday 2 September 2011

Here's the thing...

...am off to Germany to visit Husband any minute now so this will have to be speedy. I’ll give you something to be getting on with and then try and write more later in the week – report on Kay’s lovely party etc, when I have time to do it justice.

I was at work yesterday – most unusual for a Thursday – which is why I didn’t get this done, having left my ironing (another unusual occurrence) and packing until last minute, of course and having to do that last night as well as prepare pounds of plums and rhubarb for jam-making so I can keep it in the fridge while I’m away to stop it all from going mouldy. That is a terrible sentence but no time to change it now.

Wednesday. An improvement in numbers but still lots of people away doing other things – mostly work-related now, I think, rather than holiday. Nicos is back from his homeland at last – looking very healthy (Greek weather must be better than Scottish, I think) and it was lovely to see him and hear that – what was it?... captivating, that was the word, voice again. We have, of course, lost Anna-Lauren to waiting-for-baby. She is going to take a few months off – quite reasonably. We’ll miss her. And we learned that Harriet will not be with us for Christmas concerts as her brother is getting married in Australia – how thoughtless – and she will have to be there instead of with us. Quite some sacrifice, I’m sure you’ll agree. What we will do without both Harriet and AL I have no idea. I feel a bit of temporary recruitment coming on. Any offers?

The Lord and Master has found us some Negro spirituals, as arranged by Michael Tippet, to sing and lovely they are, too. We tried two on Weds – Steal Away and Go Down, Moses. Both have a German translation for some reason. I can’t remember having come across any German-speaking slaves in my extensive reading on the subject but maybe I missed something. We are not using the translation, you will be relieved to hear.

There – I must dash. Apologies for pathetic effort.Will do more on return (if I remember – no promises).

Have a good weekend.



2 comments:

Harry Campbell said...

Perhaps you're writing tongue in cheek, but I seem to remember rather a lot of German-speakers were crushed under the heel of a certain modern Pharaoh in the middle years of the twentieth century. This article may help shed some light on the background of the work in question, whose very title is a translation from the German:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Child_of_Our_Time

sheena said...

Just caught up on a bit of relative pitch. Hysterical. Love to you all from NJ (that's New Jersey)