Monday 12 March 2012

I was robbed, Guv!

Well, I suppose it’s my fault for being so slow again. Kirsty got there first. Anyone who has access to Rudsambee weekly notes will have read everything I had to say, already – and written quite as amusingly as I could/would have done it, too (if that doesn’t sound over-presumptuous!) (that’s a hard word to spell – had to resort to the dictionary; a paper one at that, having no idea at all how to spell-check on this – or any other – computer. Having said that, I doubt this, or any other, computer would have been able to identify the word I was trying to spell, so woeful were my efforts) so I am wondering if there is any point in my continuing with this...

HOWEVER – let us presume that there is an odd reader, here or there... no, let’s be realistic and pretend that there is an odd reader, here or there, who has no access to said notes and would like to hear about this (last) week’s rehearsal and let’s carry on.

We had no new members to meet as Ol still hadn’t got round to seeing them all. He auditioned a few last week, I believe and this few included a tenor who proved to be a bit of a disappointment. “He wasn’t very good,” said the Boy Wonder to the bijou gathering of Robin, Susan and myself, early arrivals (well, Robin and I were early; Susan was simply at home as usual). “And he was a tenor? Blimey, he must have been bad,” offers yours truly, mistress of tact and diplomacy. Poor Robin looked a little jaundiced while agreeing with my sentiments, whereupon Susan and I felt it necessary to spend several minutes bolstering his (really quite recently gained and now sadly-) undermined confidence. Later, once all who were going to arrive had done so, this same topic of conversation resurfaced. Now there were Three Tenors to discombobulate. To my shame (!), I repeated my unkind observation. Quite bad enough, this repetition, but Kay provided the final nail, the straw that broke... “He must have been completely tone deaf,” says she, guffawing. Protests were heard, unsurprisingly, from Tenor Corner, “Now you’ve gone too far,” complained a re-crushed Robin and even Chris appeared to have his head in his hands (though he may just have been catching a catnap, being somewhat over-worked at present). Yes, well, poor tenors, how mean we were. They are really very good once they know what they’re doing. They’re just a little slow, a little tentative with the sight-reading. Does this sound familiar. “Pot,” you could say. “Kettle.” Fair. Entirely fair.

As to what we sang... we began with a new piece, Colour Poem IV, by Gesualdo (I think). Kirsty and I took the Alto 2 part and some of the sopranos the Alto 1. I was glad to have company; you know me and the sight-reading (though I was standing next to the tentative tenors so I might have been OK by myself – less pressure when you know you’re not the only one going wrong!) [AHEM!] and there was some tricky old timing in this. Looked easy. Deceptive. But we did quite well in the end. I wasn’t in complete despair and that’s always a bonus. And Kirsty is a much better SR-er than me but, very kindly, didn’t make me feel like a fool, pulling enough faces and sighing often enough to give me the impression she wasn’t as on top of things as, otherwise, I might well have imagined she was.

I have some notes scribbled on this music but have forgotten what they were supposed to help me remember. That happens SO often, doesn’t it? There is something here about avoiding horrible Clannad-like, Gaelic breathiness such as was evident, for example, in the theme tune to Robin of Sherwood, TV series of yesteryear (?) [see below]. At this point Kirsty, who was either not listening or was displaying quite astonishing ignorance, asked, “Clannad? Was I in that one?” Explanations had to be given, amidst hysteria. I don’t know – perhaps she was living in Germany at the time of the hoody-man. I’m not sure Sebastian or Arno, or any of the young things, knew what we were talking about either.



After this the girlies went off to Polish [oh very punny] our new song, Mateusz. It still needs a deal of buffing but Ollie has transcribed the music for us which makes it all much easier. Ha! Rubbish. It makes it much clearer – and we have parts. End of. It’s great fun, though. We sang it to the men later, (no idea, again, what they were up to while we did our thang but I’m sure they worked hard – they must have done because, when we returned to them, Rachael was heard to comment, “This room smells of boy.” and it did.); Douglas said, “That’s definitely a women’s song,” (????????) and then asked if it was African. He wasn’t the only one who wondered that. You see, we were right with the reggae stuff last week – and we must be doing it some sort of justice if the men picked up on it, n’est-ce pas?



We had a sing through of the Lully pieces for a bit of fun et c’est tout,
as far as I can remember.

Tad boring. Apologies. Will try harder next time. But it’s ‘ard when someone’s ‘alf-inched all yer best lines, innit?

Lu-urve.

1 comment:

rudsambass said...

There are four Colour Poems. They're by Richard Nye. We haven't started on them yet. The Gesualdo is "Io tacerò", and it's about 400 years older than the Colour Poems. Just to nip a bit of confusion in the bud, as it were.