Tuesday 1 May 2012

Organised Ollie

I am writing this at work (on someone else’s laptop so I’d better watch me language) – yes, bad me; but I have done all I can do so far today: sorted the till and the reconciliation sheet for last week (-ish, haven’t got all the necessary info to do it properly, as usual), swept the floor, tidied up the back room, varnished artwork of varying standard (some rather dubious) and re-stocked the shelves (not easy when there is hardly anything in the cupboard) and I’ve only been in an hour and a half. Now I’ve left myself nothing to do for the rest of the day. So here I am.

We had a prospective alto, Marisa, ‘sitting in’ for the first half of the evening. She joined in the singing, naturally, but left half way as she wasn’t feeling particularly well. I have no idea what she thought of us, having had no chance to ask, but I daresay that question will be answered on Wednesday if she turns up again. There will be a healthy alto section if she joins. The basses are dwindling – though temporarily; hopefully the two that have gone will be back before too long, the tenors are always a problem (!) and even the sopranos have been a bit thin on the ground recently. Yey! for the altos – we will take over and reign supreme. Perhaps Tormis knew what he was up to after all, when he wrote the alto line above the soprano.

What did we sing? Oops. You’ve guessed it. No bloody idea. Something for the CD, I imagine.

Organised Ollie – those are two words not often witnessed side-by-side – presented us each with a list of what he proposes to put on the CD and what we will be singing in St Giles in August. I know.... imagine! The St Giles’ list includes Nikos’s Brodmann area 47 and a few other pieces written by students contemporary with the Lord and Master, (even one by the L&M himself. At long last. It had better be good after all this time waiting for it). So it will be an interesting concert, to say the least.

What a way to go.

Oh, now I’m welling up. Can’t see the screen. Will have to stop.

Speaking of which, I am doing badly with my on-line communications; keep on upsetting people. Might have to hand this job to someone else and steer clear of interwebby mischief-making.

Not that I mean to make mischief.

Not often, anyway.

Hardly ever.....

No comments: