Sunday 6 May 2012

Tardy for Tormis

Ollie suggested last week that those who were interested get together early this week to have a sing of Kullervo’s Message, a piece by Tormis which the small group folk (when we had a small group) started work on AGES ago and never finished. I was part of this petit assemblage and decided that my presence would likely be an essential element in getting this work going again so off I set, very much earlier than usual these days, music in hand and vague memories of how it sounded in my head. Not that it necessarily sounded there as it should have, of course - I did say we never perfected it, didn’t I? And then, my memory... Arriving at John and Susan’s, I found a strong smell of cooking dinner, the house owners (just about to sit down to said dinner) and Robin. No sign of anyone else. Particularly no sign of Ol. John and Susan were just back from Spain and had not been reading emails (really! Call themselves dedicated?) and so had no idea at all that there was a suggestion of early-meeting-keen-people gathering at 6.50. Probably just as well that no one else did. Robin and I were easily dealt with; given a cup of tea and many questions to answer regarding events while J&S were away. What were our impressions of the candidates etc. I have to say that Mr and Mrs Wexler seemed to have rather decided impressions of these prospectives without actually having met any of them. Final discussions, when they at last take place, really will be interesting.

Ollie appeared eventually, admitting that he had fallen asleep. Whether we are to try this early-meeting mullarkey again next week I don’t know. I shall certainly turn up to sing if required. Let me rephrase that: I shall certainly turn up to sing, if we do.

I am sorry – I am feeling utterly uninspired tonight and I really feel I must get this done now or it will never be finished. So – this is pretty boring and, I’m afraid, will remain so. You have my permission to give up on it if you wish. Goodbye to those of you with sense and a life; for the rest of you here’s a very little more tedium for you. I’ll get it done as soon as possible. Promise.

Aaagh.

Ollie had we women try a few verses of Mateusz which, for the first time, we managed to sing first(ish) time without falling completely to pieces; rhythm a bit dodgy to begin with and pronunciation somewhat shaky in places but I think we might actually be able to put this on the CD if we all work on it at home.

IF WE ALL WORK ON IT AT HOME.

Loud enough?

It was a lovely after-rehearsal chat with lots of people staying back for a cup of tea – almost like old times. Les bons mots? Away wiz ze fairrries, naturellement.

I got a lift home from Marie-Claire, lazy critter that I am.

‘Til next time.

PS The last two postings seem to have lacked any sign of paragraphing. The paragraphs were there when the blog left my fingertips. Christopher???????? [sorry, Blogger has clearly gone funny since the 'new look'!]

No comments: