Monday 8 December 2008

Canongate- a quick run down

Dear all,

Sorry for the delay in updating you with goings-on at Canongate on Saturday night. Bit slow on the uptake this week. Well, we all made it to the Queen's church (it even has a pew just for the Royal family - we kept it free though I am sad to say that Liz the second decided not to attend. Not even a minor royal made an appearance. I would have been quite happy with the Wessexes) and rehearsed for an hour in the big blue barn-like church. By our own admission, it was not the greatest dress rehearsal ever. If we went in feeling quietly confident, we came out the other end with some well-honed fear.

However, in usual Rudsambee-fashion we rose to the occasion. The actual concert went pretty well really. I'm sure if you asked a Rudsambee-let they would point you to a dozen moments which could have been better but the audience enjoyed themselves and actually so did we. I think we covered up well and there were a couple of great pieces. 'O Nata Lux' was as good as we have ever sung it (pretty good considering that A-L has sung this piece, like, twice before last night- is this right A-L :-)? ) and 'Taladh Chriosa' with the beauty of Anne's harp playing was a complete highlight for me. Still feel that 'Gloria' could do with a bit of scatting and jazz hands (although I think I am largely over-ruled by my friends who have far more taste and musicality that myself) but it was a good night all in. We finished with one of Rudsambee's finest moments... at least I don't think I have ever laughed so much at the end of a performance as our brass band (who were trumpet-tooting legends btw) played 'We wish you a merry Christmas' and we decided to join in... at the wrong time... for the wrong verse. Figgy pudding anyone? Laugh?... like a drain my friends. It was genius!

If you missed it and are silently weeping into the sleeve notes of your new Rudsambee CD, then fear not: you can catch us again on Wednesday night at Priestfield church or on Sunday night at St Giles. I'll fill you in again after Priestfield. Before that enjoy your jolly, festive weeks.

CSW

No comments: